Software Test Engineer
About this position:
About this position:
Are you able to assess software quality, contribute to software test specifications and author test cases? Can you develop the test automation suites necessary to provide robust and reliable software to our customers? Are you looking for a position in which you will work closely with developers and engineering specialists as an integral part of an agile team, driving quality from within? Do you want the opportunity to work flexible hours and the ability to work from home if you wish*? Do you want to do this in an international, but friendly environment with approachable senior managers and a collaborative culture? Then this might be your chance to become a part of our software development team!
In this role you will work in a dynamic, positive and action-driven environment. You will work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team, contributing to the testing and documentation of software programs as part of the development of Malvern Panalytical’s range of products. You will work under the guidance of the Lead Software Test Engineer, your Software Team Leader, and the Software Engineering Manager, to give guidance to our Software Engineers on the practices required to ensure effective software testing, and to ensure that processes are adhered to so that teams deliver robust and reliable software.
* A minimum of one day per week in the office will be required, so you must be based within a reasonable commutable distance of Bristol.
What are your responsibilities?
• You will participate in the development of software products as part of a multi-disciplinary project team and to work within project timescales, providing progress indication and task estimates as necessary;
• You will work within the software team using agile methods, participating in sprint planning, sprint reviews and retrospectives. You will be a vocal advocate of quality throughout the project life-cycle;
• You will need to develop strong working relationships with software development engineers, project managers, engineering managers and other test engineers;
• You will contribute to the review and maintenance of software testing standards and policies under the direction of the Lead Software Test Engineer.
What do you need to be successful in this role?
• The ability to work closely with developers and engineering specialists as an embedded tester in an agile team;
• A degree in a computing, science or engineering discipline or at least 18 months’ relevant experience;
• Understanding of software design methodologies, notably Agile and Scrum design principles;
• Experience of the Microsoft development stack (TFS, Visual Studio, Test manager);
• You must be self-motivated, detail-oriented and able to work independently as well as in a team environment.
Great to have?
• Windows programming in C#, Visual Basic, or any scripting language using object-oriented methodologies would be an advantage;
• Exposure to automation test principles would be beneficial;
• An interest in science and technology which goes beyond your day to day work.
When you join?
• Your career will take off with a comprehensive induction programme. We then continue to support and develop our employees by improving their skills, knowledge and performance by in-house, on-the-job training, and external training;
• We value entrepreneurship and commitment by offering real career possibilities;
• You become part of a growing company where you can shape the future of our work processes;
• Flexi-time (core hours 10.00am – 12.00pm and 2.00pm – 3.00pm) and potential to work from home to help you to achieve a good work-life balance.
As a diverse and inclusive employer, we welcome applications from a wide range of candidates. We are particularly keen to see applications from returners to work, part-time candidates and people who have a strong interest in Software Test Engineering but might need some up-skilling in recent technologies and practices.
Yes I want this job!