Senior Systems Engineer
About this position:
From forensics to nanotechnology, our analytical systems and solutions help the world’s top researchers do ground-breaking work on the small things that make big things possible. We’re after enquiring minds, imaginative thinkers, and proud geeks. Those who are irresistibly drawn to hard problems others can’t crack. Those who are always thinking ‘what if…’. Does this sound like you? Then read on….
Job Title: Senior Systems Engineer
Location: Malvern, UK
Are you able to work within fast paced, highly innovative projects with internal and external stakeholders to develop new products and solutions? Are you looking for a position in which you can work closely with other disciplines in a cross functional R&D team? Do you want to do this in an ambitious, fast-growing, international company with a friendly and inclusive culture? Then this might be your chance to become a part of our R&D team!
In this role you will be required contribute to the development of high-performance, cost effective, and reliable systems and components as part of Malvern Panalytical’s range of products.
What are your responsibilities?
- To provide innovative physics, chemistry, precision mechanics, optics, mathematical analysis, signal processing and control or other scientific contribution to the design of Malvern Panalytical’s range of products.
- To understand customer requirements including the nature of the customer measurement application and how this relates to the overall instrument system capability.
- To gain an understanding of all aspects of the instrument measurement and control from introduction of the sample to generation and storage of the result.
- To ensure the design follows Malvern Panalytical’s documented design process.
- To participate in the development of products as part of a multi-disciplinary project team and to work within project timescales, providing progress indication and task estimates, as necessary.
- To liaise with other groups in the transfer of designs and in the definition of system testing procedures and to liaise with operations/test teams to ensure that system build procedures are appropriate for new systems.
- To solve product problems as they relate to the operation of the instrument system or the science of the measurement, liaising with other technical specialists, as necessary.
- To liaise with suppliers in defining the choice of components with a particular emphasis on key sensors and state of art technology.
- To acquire, maintain and disseminate knowledge of up to date technology and its potential application to Malvern Panalytical.
- To assist in training courses for internal and external personnel.
What do you need to be successful in this role?
- Have strong communication skills.
- Be a graduate Physicist, Optical, Mechanical, Chemical Engineer, Mathematician or similar. PhD in relevant discipline may be useful.
- Experience in an instrumentation development environment with specific experience of real time systems, optics and opto-mechanics, laser light scattering, imaging systems, and / or related subsystems.
- Excellent problem-solving ability and analytical skills. The ability to solve complex systems problems using a combination of sound experimental technique and good analytical understanding is of particular importance at this level.
- Good experimental techniques, mathematical modelling of systems, ability to present complex arguments simply both written and orally.
- Ability to write computer programs for modelling particularly in MATLAB, Python or C# would be an advantage, as would experience of Minitab.
- Have experience of system level design and control systems.
Great to have?
- Experience of fluid dynamics and modelling software.
- Experience of thermal management and modelling software.
- Experience of working in an Agile environment.
- Experience of lean manufacturing and design for manufacturing principles.
When you join?
- Your career will take off with a comprehensive induction programme. We then continue to support and develop our employees by improving their skills, knowledge and performance by in-house, on-the-job training, and external training.
- We value entrepreneurship and commitment by offering real career possibilities.
- You become part of a growing company where you can shape the future of our work processes.
- Flexi-time (core hours 10.00am – 12.00pm and 2.00pm – 3.00pm) to help you to achieve a good work-life balance.
- Home-working permissible although will be required to work in the office at short notice.
YES, I WANT THIS JOB!
Please click APPLY NOW to submit your CV and cover letter.