Senior Mechanical Engineer
About this position:
From forensics to nanotechnology, our analytical systems and solutions help the world’s top researchers do ground-breaking work on the small things that make big things possible. We’re after enquiring minds, imaginative thinkers, and proud geeks. Those who are irresistibly drawn to hard problems others can’t crack. Those who are always thinking ‘what if…’. Does this sound like you? Then read on….
Job Title: Senior Mechanical Engineer
Location: Malvern, UK
Are you able to deliver innovative solutions to engineering problems? Are you looking for a position in which you can bring your senior engineering expertise to contribute to the development of high-performance, cost effective and reliable systems and components? Do you want to do this in an ambitious, fast-growing, international company with a friendly and inclusive culture? Then this might be your chance to become a part of our Malvern Panalytical R&D team!
In this role you will be part of a team of empowered multi-disciplined engineers to deliver innovative solutions to engineering problems. Bring engineering expertise to contribute to the development of high-performance, cost effective and reliable systems / components for Malvern Panalytical’s product range.
What are your responsibilities?
- To develop mechanical system design solutions, using a combination of theoretical and empirical design approach for the development of new instrumentation solutions for Malvern branded products.
- Take technical ownership of mechanical design solutions.
- To provide innovative mechanical and / or industrial design contribution to the design of precision instrumentation systems.
- To be responsible for the concept design and layout of small instruments or single modules of more complex instruments.
- To undertake tests to verify performance and review results.
- To ensure that design enables modules and instruments that are reliable and are easy to manufacture and service.
- To ensure the design follows laid down Codes of Practice and project Life cycle methodologies.
- To participate in the development of products as part of multi-disciplinary project teams.
- To work closely with industrial engineers and cell teams during integration into manufacture.
- To liaise with suppliers in defining the choice of materials and processes.
- Work with external partners to collaboratively produce design solutions.
- Mentor junior mechanical engineers.
- Act as the interface between the NVI, Production, Procurement and the Manufacturing team during the release of new products.
- Perform activities such as brain storming, concept selection, DFMA and FMEA.
- From time to time to take on the role of Project Leader of a team as directed by the Engineering Manager providing team leadership and design direction as appropriate to the size of project.
- Support 8D’s and continuous improvement projects as necessary.
What do you need to be successful in this role?
- Must be qualified to HND, degree level or equivalent Engineering related experience.
- Have at least 5 years’ experience in a Mechanical Engineering Environment.
- Must have technical competency in mechanical engineering and should have appreciation for optics and optical design specifications, manufacturing engineering, test, inspection and validation.
- Professional MCAD experience required. Must be proficient in 2D and 3D design work and have a solid appreciation of drawing issue control, using a PLM system to generate of Bills of Materials and good engineering control documentation.
- Project planning experience is essential.
- Familiarity with enterprise software systems e.g. SAP, Sharepoint, Office 365, CRM, etc.
- Must be able to work within various project management tools.
- Have some experience or qualifications with Lean tools and processes such as DMAIC and DFSS.
Great to have?
- Deep knowledge and understanding of optics and optical systems.
- Understanding of fluid dynamics, static or dynamic structural assessments.
- Deep understanding of CAD systems and simulation tools
- Experience in design in partnership with external institutions.
- Functional safety awareness
- Think out of the box.
When you join?
- Your career will take off with a comprehensive induction programme. We then continue to support and develop our employees by improving their skills, knowledge and performance by in-house, on-the-job training, and external training.
- We value entrepreneurship and commitment by offering real career possibilities.
- You become part of a growing company where you can shape the future of our work processes.
- Hope working/ office working flexibility (core hours 10.00am – 12.00pm and 2.00pm – 3.00pm) to help you to achieve a good work-life balance.
YES, I WANT THIS JOB!
Please click APPLY NOW to submit your CV and cover letter.