Senior Development Scientist
About this position:
Do you want to be part of a business that genuinely values entrepreneurialism, innovation and individual accountability? We focus on our customers and are proud of the difference our technology makes. We partner with some of the biggest manufacturing companies in the world and our technical innovations are used to enhance well-known brands across multiple industries.
Job Title: (Senior) Development Scientist
Location: Malvern, UK
Are you able to design optical systems and understand the science that underpins them? Are you looking for a position in which you can apply your knowledge of scientific instruments and algorithms to solve complex customer problems in materials analysis and process control? Do you want to do this in an ambitious, fast-growing, international company with a friendly and inclusive culture? Then this might be your chance to become a part of our R&D team!
In this role you will contribute to the evolution of customer solutions through algorithm and hardware design and stay up-to-date on the state-of-the-art feeding that knowledge into novel solutions to customer problems.
What are your responsibilities?
- To provide the mathematical, physics, and system contribution to the design of instrument systems. In particular to optical systems involving laser light scattering.
- To solve product problems as they relate to physics, mathematics and systems engineering issues.
- To keep abreast of technological developments with a view to their potential application.
- To participate in the development of products as part of multi-disciplinary project teams including industrial engineers, Production, Purchasing, Service, Manufacturing engineering and operations teams during the integration into manufacture.
- To participate in the development of new algorithms and mathematical models.
- Work within project timescales, providing progress indication and task estimates as necessary.
- To liaise with suppliers in defining the optimum choice of components.
- To liaise with the manufacturing team in the definition of system testing procedures.
- To ensure that the design follows laid down Codes of Practice and project Life cycle methodologies.
- Understand and mentor others in good design techniques, experimentation, analysis and domain understanding.
- Ensure development knowledge is captured and disseminated through a variety of media.
What do you need to be successful in this role?
- You are a team player, able to adapt and adjust when the need arises with experience of working within a multi-disciplinary team, including Software, Systems, and Electronics.
- You will need excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, you will need to be able to present solutions to complex problems to a varied audience in a variety of media.
- You are a Graduate Physicist, Optical, Mechanical, Chemist, Chemical Engineer, Mathematician or equivalent with workplace experience. A PhD would be advantageous.
- You are highly numerate with strong data analysis skills. Experience in C++ and C# highly advantageous. Matlab/Python or similar essential.
Great to have?
- Experience in imaging and/or laser light scattering hardware and/or algorithms. In particular knowledge of laser diffraction.
- Mathematical modelling of complex systems using Matlab or similar tools would be advantageous.
- Knowledge of optical system design and use of Zemax would be advantageous.
- Plenty of energy and a passion to come up with innovative solutions to difficult challenges.
When you join?
- ·Your career will take off with a comprehensive induction programme. We then continue to support and develop our employees by improving their skills, knowledge and performance by in-house, on-the-job training, and external training.
- We value entrepreneurship and commitment by offering real career possibilities.
- You become part of a growing company where you can shape the future of our work processes.
- Flexi-time (core hours 10.00am – 12.00pm and 2.00pm – 3.00pm) to help you to achieve a good work-life balance.
YES, I WANT THIS JOB!
Please APPLY NOW to submit your CV.