About this position:
Do you want to be part of a business that genuinely values entrepreneurialism, innovation and individual accountability? We focus on our customers and are proud of the difference our technology makes. We partner with some of the biggest manufacturing companies in the world and our technical innovations are used to enhance well-known brands across multiple industries.
Job Title: Optical Engineer
Location: Malvern, UK
Are you able to deliver innovative solutions to engineering problems? Are you looking for a position in which you can bring your engineering expertise to contribute to the development of high-performance, cost effective and reliable systems and components? Do you want to do this in an ambitious, fast-growing, international company with a friendly and inclusive culture? Then this might be your chance to become a part of our Malvern Panalytical Sustaining Engineering team!
In this role you will be part of a team of empowered multi-disciplined engineers to deliver innovative solutions to engineering problems. Bring engineering expertise to contribute to the development of high-performance, cost effective and reliable systems / components for Malvern Panalytical’s product range.
What are your responsibilities?
- Design alignment and test procedures to ensure designed system performance can be quickly and reliably achieved.
- Design tooling and equipment to allow optical alignment to be carried out.
- Review and advise on optical mounting and adjustment systems for new products.
- Use knowledge of optical fabrication and coating methods to help optical designers achieve more robust designs that are cheaper and easier to make.
- Redesign optical mounting and adjustment systems where problems arise in existing products.
- Analyse optical and mechanical tolerances to ensure system performance can be maintained despite component and alignment variation.
- Review component and assembly drawings to ensure all critical performance features are controlled.
- Liaise with Development Scientists to identify critical performance features for each optical component.
- Measure and test optical components to ensure they are within specification when manufacturing problems arise.
- Design bespoke test rigs to control critical performance features which cannot be readily measured with standard equipment.
- Transition component control from bespoke test rigs to standard test equipment.
- Develop and maintain an optical metrology facility to diagnose component problems.
What do you need to be successful in this role?
- Degree qualified with relevant work experience in an optical or opto-mechanical engineering position.
- Experience of low volume manufacturing methods.
- Experience developing test procedures and equipment.
- Excellent problem-solving ability and analytical skills.
- Practical use of optical prototyping equipment.
- Experience of relevant tools such as Solid Works, Solid Edge, Zemax, Python etc.
Great to have?
- Sound understanding of optical fabrication and coating methods.
- Experience with problem solving methodologies.
- Experience with Lean/ DFSS/ DFX toolsets.
- Experience with planning, monitoring, and delivering a project.
When you join?
- Your career will take off with a comprehensive induction programme. We then continue to support and develop our employees by improving their skills, knowledge and performance by in-house, on-the-job training, and external training.
- We value entrepreneurship and commitment by offering real career possibilities.
- You become part of a growing company where you can shape the future of our work processes.
- Flexi-time (core hours 10.00am – 12.00pm and 2.00pm – 3.00pm) to help you to achieve a good work-life balance.
YES, I WANT THIS JOB!
Please click APPLY NOW to submit your CV and cover letter.