Laboratory Support Technician
About this position:
Do you want to be part of a business that genuinely values entrepreneurialism, innovation and individual accountability? We focus on our customers and are proud of the difference our technology makes. We partner with some of the biggest manufacturing companies in the world and our technical innovations are used to enhance well-known brands across multiple industries.
The role of Laboratory Support Technician is responsible for ensuring Concept Life Sciences Bradford has an appropriate Quality Assured working environment for its employees and activities. The holder reports to the Facilities Officer. The focus of this role is on ensuring that all laboratory areas are suitably well maintained and stocked, clean and tidy for revenue earning tasks, and meet Quality Assurance requirements, and that the laboratory buildings and environs are maintained to a high standard. This is achieved both by carrying out practical activities and by maintaining an awareness of situations that could lead to a loss of quality, or are in contravention of the quality and health and safety standards of the company.
Main Duties to:
- General housekeeping of the laboratories and sample stores to meet relevant quality standards.
- Performing regular calibration checks of ancillary laboratory equipment such as balances, pipettes, pH meters.
- Dealing with chemical and non-chemical deliveries; hazard assessment and safe handling of incoming goods.
- Stock control / ordering of laboratory consumables and stationery to ensure the laboratories / offices are well-stocked and resourced.
- Testing water quality and maintenance of deionised water systems and water still.
- Undertaking routine temperature mapping of temperature controlled storage units such as fridges, freezers, incubators, stability cabinets and ovens.
- Reviewing/ checking and dealing with any monitoring system alarms
- Organising and overseeing regular service / maintenance visits from utility, alarm, and safety equipment suppliers as per defined schedule. Liaising with suppliers. Overseeing contractors working on site.
- Managing waste disposal process via approved contractors (hazardous and non-hazardous).
- Performing regular fire alarm and emergency lighting tests.
- Stock control of health and safety related consumables: Spill Kits, First Aid Kits, PPE etc.
- Responding to ad hoc requests for facilities repairs / to address site problems.
- Contributing to and adhering to company standard operating procedures.
- Training of colleagues in own specialist areas / skills.
- BSc or similar in a chemical or related scientific field and demonstrated, relevant experience.
- Experience of working in a regulated environment (quality, health and safety).
- Basic equipment maintenance and trouble-shooting skills.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, think and work independently, problem-solve, work in teams and multitask.
- Able to identify and highlight own training needs, and proactively upskill.
- Strong written and oral communications skills; IT Literate.
- Proactive in your approach to your work.
- Role is subject to probation and training on internal processes.