About this position:
Do you want to be part of a business that genuinely values entrepreneurialism, innovation and individual accountability? We focus on our customers and are proud of the difference our technology makes. We partner with some of the biggest manufacturing companies in the world and our technical innovations are used to enhance well-known brands across multiple industries.
Integrated Discovery & Development Services, part of the Concept Life Sciences Group, is a leading UK-based CRO, providing early phase drug discovery services to the pharmaceutical industry as well as R&D support to the diagnostic, petrochemical and materials industries. As a company, we have a single aim: to accelerate our customers’ discovery initiatives through innovation. By applying our renowned skills for problem-solving and open communications, our scientists pride themselves on seizing the initiative and providing the energy, skill and creativity needed to help fulfil project objectives. Based in two UK locations: Sandwich (Kent) and Chapel-en-le-Frith (Derbyshire), our workforce contains skilled scientists across several disciplines and comprises one of the largest chemistry groups in the UK.
We believe our employees are the foundation to our success and we are proud to play a part in your personal career development, supporting you step-by-step throughout your professional growth.
We currently have a permanent full time vacancy available for a Group Leader at the Sandwich site. We would welcome applications from individuals who have experience of managing teams and a background in the drug discovery industry gained from a pharmaceutical company, biotech or CRO.
Main Duties :
- Line management of a team of up to 7 chemists, taking responsibility for their development and performance.
- Holds regular, effective one to one meetings with reports. Demonstrates thorough understanding of their abilities and facilitates development. Accurately and fairly assesses performance against the competency framework, including carrying out annual appraisals.
- Responsible for Health, Safety and the Environment in a laboratory or area; including safety inspections and investigation of incident reports.
- Monitors reactions effectively using most appropriate method. Interprets all analytical data accurately, identifying unexpected products.
- Demonstrates the ability to interpret data from more advanced techniques. Effectively assists more junior colleagues in data analysis.
- Completes laboratory notebook in accordance with Integrated Discovery & Development Services (IDDS) procedure or specific customer requirements; recording sufficient, accurate and clear information.
- Interaction with peers and senior management to ensure consistent practises are employed across the organisation.
- Carry out complex chemical syntheses using a wide range of techniques and support others within your team.
- Utilise your scientific expertise and chemical databases to generate solutions to problems encountered within your team.
- Provides positive leadership through effective communication and motivation, demonstrating clear vision and direction in line with the organisation.
- Recognises others’ contribution to the team and demonstrates ability to utilise varying skills and perspectives to maximise the team’s performance. Contributes to cross functional working groups.
- Ensure to communicate professionally with internal and external customers.
- Complete written reports to a high standard.