Customer Support Engineer Virginia
About this position:
Do you want to be part of a business that genuinely values entrepreneurialism, innovation and individual accountability? We focus on our customers and are proud of the difference our technology makes. We partner with some of the biggest manufacturing companies in the world and our technical innovations are used to enhance well-known brands across multiple industries.
When you make the invisible visible, the impossible is possible.
Our analytical systems and services help our customers to create a better world. Through chemical, physical and structural analysis of materials, they improve everything from the energies that power us and the materials we build with, to the medicines that cure us and the foods we enjoy. We partner with many of the world’s biggest companies, universities and research organizations. They value us not only for the power of our solutions, but also for the depth of our expertise, collaboration and integrity.
With over 2200 employees, we serve the world, and we are part of Spectris plc, the world-leading precision measurements group.
Malvern Panalytical. We’re big on small.
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB:
The Field Service Engineer will become an expert in the service and maintenance of all Malvern Panalytical Inc. products. They will be expected to enhance customer support and product sales in the American territories through a proactive integration of their technical expertise into the daily sales, customer support, & training activities of the Malvern Panalytical team and customer base. They will have direct territorial service responsibility for their defined territory, and will be responsible for instrument testing and calibration, electrical & mechanical repairs, and proactive sale of service contracts and product accessories.
REPORTING LINE: DEPARTMENT: Customer Support
- Line Manager: US or Regional Service Manager
- Matrix Manager(s):
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Adhere to all defined procedural guidelines for Malvern Panalytical Support Group.
- Ensure that overall customer satisfaction in the territory is maintained at the highest level possible, by responding to customer inquiries, needs, and/or complaints promptly and courteously.
- Schedule and complete Helpdesk assigned service jobs in a timely fashion, including performance validations using company certified procedures; problem diagnosis and on-site system repair; align, repair, replace, and/or balance component parts and circuitry as required; reassemble and calibrate instruments and equipment.
- As required by the Malvern Panalytical helpdesk, provide backup support for the installation of new equipment at the customer facilities, including the delivery of basic train customer personnel in the operation of the instrument that they purchased.
- Enter and maintain accurate information about territory customers in the CRM and R3 databases.
- As required by the US Service Manager, provide backup support for the Helpdesk by responding to customer support emails and phone calls in a timely fashion during non-travel office days.
- Provide technical assistance to local Account Manager for new product sales by means of customer visits, participation in product demonstrations, and other brick-brick walling activities.
- Provide written quarterly reports to regional Support Manager, along with regular verbal updates.
- Manage expenses within corporate travel guidelines.
- Customer and supplier communication
- Internal Communication
ENVIRONMENT AND HOURS:
- Standard work week of 40 hours, although there is occasionally a need for staff to work beyond this limit.
- Available for unrestricted travel within North America and Europe.
- Travel (overnight) up to 80% of the time.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Science related field.
- Previous or related experience.
- Fluency in English, written and verbal, is required.
Skills & Experience
- Experience in spectroscopy, light scattering, microscopy, chemical imaging and/or rheology.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, along with the ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or schematic forms, dealing with abstract and concrete variables.
- Practical modern instrumental analysis skills, acquired either through research or through on the job experience in an industrial setting.
- Standard computer experience (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc) including ability to work with statistical terms.
- Read analyze, and interpret technical documents, user manuals, and instrumental design schematics.
- Communication (written and oral) skills at all levels and the ability to conduct oneself in a friendly and professional manner.
- Ability to retain information or know where to find it and put this to practical use.
- Common sense attitude, ability to work under pressure, and willingness to be flexible.
- Cooperation and Team working
- Expertise and Professionalism
- Problem Solving/ Analysis