Applications Specialist (previously req1033)
About this position:
From forensics to nanotechnology, our analytical systems and solutions help the world’s top researchers do ground-breaking work on the small things that make big things possible. We’re after enquiring minds, imaginative thinkers, and proud geeks. Those who are irresistibly drawn to hard problems others can’t crack. Those who are always thinking ‘what if…’. Does this sound like you? Then read on….
Do you want to step into a high-tech world with a strong focus on innovation? Are you able to bring scientific excellence to a complex instrumentation setting? Are you looking for a position in which allows you to work with the full product lifecycle from development through to End-of-life? Do you want to do this in an international, but personal environment? Then this might be your chance to become a part of our Global Applications Specialist group!
In this role we are looking for an energetic Application Specialist to provide strong applications-oriented support to our Americas Sales team and customers, both pre-sales in the form of field-based demonstrations, consultancies and applications expertise, post-sales activities such as Customer Trainings, method optimization and application troubleshooting, and Marketing support in terms of presenting at conferences, creating whitepapers and peer-review journal articles related to providing a customer-centric solution to a company’s issues/problems/pain utilizing Malvern Panalytical’s complementary range of products and scientific resources.
Manages technical activities related to Laser Diffraction, Analytical Imaging and DLS technologies within the Americas, working with Sales, Customer Service and Customers to provide value added solutions to stakeholders utilizing the MP offerings within all MP sectors that we serve.
- Act as a subject matter expert or application engineer/scientist to support our Laser Diffraction/Analytical Imaging/DLS range of products, supporting All MP Sectors in various applications and opportunities.
- Travel throughout assigned region to call on prospective and existing customers to support orders, maintaining open communications with Account Managers or Inside Sales members at all times.
- Work with Account Managers on “A” opportunities to devise the technical/product/demo strategy, as appropriate. Also, work with the Inside Sales group on B opportunities and take action, when appropriate, to reach out to them and offer technically-based means to progress an opportunity closer to an order.
- Be the field technical/commercial expert to fully support the efforts of Account Managers/Inside Sales, ensuring that revenue objectives are achieved for their respective product lines.
- Represent the Company as a specialist at technical conferences and/or trade shows, when needed, to answer visitor questions and to give papers and/or posters.
- Maintain current instrument proficiency in order to perform exceptional equipment demonstrations at prospective customer’s facilities with Account Managers or Inside Sales members.
- Provide market/competitive feedback to Product Management for their respective product line.
- Assist the Applications team by provide on-going training support to ensure they are confident with the Laser Diffraction/Analytical Imaging/DLS range of products and when they can use it to complement a sample submitted for a different technology.
- When necessary, provide customer feedback to customer support, assisting in customer satisfaction.
- Maintain, track and report Company demonstration equipment in their possession.
- Prepare monthly sales report showing current month sales/support activities, next month’s objectives and lost order analysis.
- Attend periodic sales meetings and present performance highlights and future outlook for the territory.
- Contribute to any internal sales support trainings and external marketing content (e.g. Webinars, Testimonial, Application notes) related to their product.
- Support the internal projects aligned with Malvern Panalytical strategic campaigns to ensure our domain knowledge of the scientific staff is utilized to drive our long term plans.
- Analyze and control travel expenditures in the Territory/Region to conform to budgetary requirements.
- Maintain adequate records and submit expense reports with appropriate documentation in a timely manner to substantiate expenses incurred while traveling on Company business.
- Maintain the Company's CRM – SAP solution by inputting updated information in a timely manner, in support of the sales process. Stay current with all tasks, activities, and opportunities within SAP.
- Use Outlook, SharePoint, SAP CRM, SAP BI & SAP HR and other systems to maximize productivity and improve communications within the Company.
- On the value of knowledge assets within the business
- Major impact on customer satisfaction
- Directly upon the motivation of the Applications Specialist team, indirectly on Sales
- On profit and orders
- On quality of service and product quality
- On product development
- On the professional image of the company
- On Malvern Panalytical Panalytical’s technical credibility for a specific technology in a specific sector
Ultimately accountable for customer satisfaction and for orders/sales results for their product line in their territory. Must have a high sense of urgency and high degree of customer focus, with an ability to perform exceptional product demonstrations with a high degree of applications knowledge to provide customer centric solutions.
Customer and supplier communication
To handle, with promptness, patience and accuracy all communications from our customers and sales channels (direct and channel partners). To communicate results, methodologies and findings of a sample analysis and demonstration in the form of a written report or presentation and to provide support to customers and sales agents in respect of these reports as and when required.
Must have excellent written and oral communications skills. Communicates regularly with prospects, customers, Inside Sales, Account Managers, Application Scientists, Product Manager and Customer support personnel.
- Sales/Commercial – first line support to the sales process ensuring that we maximize the chances of Malvern Panalytical being selected as the vendor in a competitive situation.
- Global Application Specialists – to work closely and assist the Global Applications staff in allied technology areas to ensure effectiveness of Company sales, customer support and marketing activities.
- Helpdesk/Customer Support – to provide technical support for customer queries when and as required.
- Provides scientific and procedural support to the QHSE
- Monthly report required to be submitted to your direct Manager plus frequent communications with Product Manager and all members of the Sales team.
ENVIRONMENT AND HOURS:
Needs to be cognizant of typical laboratory practices and safety requirements, and familiar in working with a variety of laboratory situations.
The role will be remotely based to primarily cover the MX/LATAM regions within AMEC. The role requires frequent visits to customers’ premises. This will require overnight travel typically with 1-4 nights duration. Expenses against the appropriate receipts will be reimbursed in accordance with the company policy. This is an exempt position meaning overtime is unpaid.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED OF THE JOB HOLDER:
- Ph.D. in areas such as Geology, Colloid Chemistry, Chemistry, Engineering, Materials Science, and other scientific disciplines including the physical sciences is preferred
- Master’s degree or a degreed area specific to our industry (scientific or analytical instrumentation) will be considered.
- Experience in Advance Materials, Pharmaceuticals, or Raw & Bulk Industries, QC or GMP, preferred, but not a requirement.
- Must be fluent in Spanish and English, being also fluent in Portuguese desired, but not required
Skills & Experience
- Previous laboratory experience is essential and expected. Minimum of 4-6 years’ direct industrial and/or academic experience, working in a research, development or laboratory setting.
- Experience in a technical/commercial role and/or sales support role is ideal.
- Experience in typical Malvern Panalytical market sectors would be advantageous.
- Experience and direct knowledge of other Malvern Panalytical Technologies (e.g. GPC/SEC, XRF, XRD, SPE etc.) is preferred, but not a requirement.
Communications skills at all levels and the ability to conduct oneself in a friendly, open and professional manner, is required.
- This is a visible position influencing the customers’ perception of our company’s professional image. The ability to deal efficiently, diplomatically and with consideration of Malvern Panalytical’s customers and your work colleagues is essential.
Needs to have good balance of technical skills in a specific area of technology, plus experience in one or more key industries (e.g. pharmaceutical, bio, or chemical), as well as commercially savvy. In addition, a personality and aptitude for working in a team environment is essential. Lastly, skills or aptitude in selling is important. Knowledge of how customers buy is important, as well as how to build relationships with prospects and/or customers is highly desirable. Strong computer skills are essential.
- Cooperation and Team working
- Expertise and Professionalism
- Problem Solving/ Analysis