Application Scientist – XRD (MA)
About this position:
From forensics to nanotechnology, our analytical systems and solutions help the world’s top researchers do ground-breaking work on the small things that make big things possible. We’re after enquiring minds, imaginative thinkers, and proud geeks. Those who are irresistibly drawn to hard problems others can’t crack. Those who are always thinking ‘what if…’. Does this sound like you? Then read on….
Job Title: Applications Specialist XRD
Location: Westborough, MA.
Do you want to step into a high-tech world with a strong focus on innovation? Are you able to bring scientific excellence to a complex instrumentation setting? Are you looking for a position in which allows you to work with the full product lifecycle from development through to End-of-life? Do you want to do this in an international, but personal environment? Then this might be your chance to become a part of our Global Applications Specialist group!
In this role we are looking for an energetic Applications Scientist in support of our x-ray diffraction and related product lines. Thin film applications (including high resolution epitaxial) will be the primary area of expertise sought, but you will be expected to support a broad range of applications for which training can be provided. Your expertise will be applied to providing strong applications support to our customers and sales teams; both pre-sales in the form of field-based demonstrations, consultancies and applications expertise, and post-sales activities such as Customer Trainings, method optimization and application troubleshooting. You will also support marketing campaigns by presenting at conferences, creating whitepapers and peer-review journal articles related to providing a customer-centric solution to a company’s issues/problems/pain utilizing Malvern Panalytical’s complementary range of products and scientific resources.
What are your responsibilities?
- Support customers with your expertise in our instrumentation and their business needs; help resolve issues with sample preparation, calibration, validation or other applications-related issues either virtually or at the customer-site during training/ consultancy visits.
- Provide technical knowledge of X-ray diffraction/ scattering and related Malvern Panalytical technologies to customers during their buying process; present demonstrations and lectures, advise sales on appropriate technical considerations, advise customers on technical capabilities and how these map to their analytical needs, either virtually or in-person at Malvern Panaltical applications laboratories or customer sites.
- Contribute to the global applications community through appropriate communication channels, providing and attending training sessions, sharing best practices information, tips, sales stories and so forth.
- Be the technical expert to fully support the efforts of account managers and inside sales specialists: Provide technical presentations to prospects, provide input to strategy and value propositions, nurture customers earlier in their buying journey, maintain CRM software information, provide training.
- Provide sample analysis in the form of written and oral reports for pre-sales proof of concept and method development studies.
- Demonstrate system usage, either at customer or Malvern Panalytical sites in the region.
- Provide technical support to customers for application of our systems, addressing queries and providing advice as necessary to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Provide after-installation expertise and training services for new or existing customers, either virtually or in-person at Malvern Panalytical or customer sites.
- Support other key Malvern Panalytical departments such as product development, marketing, R&D and EH&S; provide feedback from customers, develop new marketing materials, test new products, maintain all chemical records and risk assessments including for customer samples.
- Prepare reports to applications management team and log activities in CRM software.
- Comply with the Malvern Panalytical code of business ethics, business practices and procedures.
- This role is expected to require >50% travel, mostly in the US but occasionally internationally.
What do you need to be successful in this role?
- Ph.D. in Physical Sciences, Engineering, Materials Science, or other scientific disciplines is preferred. MSc. will be considered with sufficient relevant experience.
- Must be fluent in English.
- Previous laboratory experience is essential and expected. Minimum of 3-5 years’ direct industrial and/or academic experience, working in quality control or research & development of thin film materials (such as semiconductors, oxides, PV).
- 3+ years’ experience with x-ray diffraction systems, or similar/ related structural or elemental analysis technology (e.g. XRF, TEM, SIMS), is strongly preferred.
- Position can be supported from a home office when not travelling, but relocation to within commuter distance of our applications lab in Westborough, MA is required.
Great to have?
- Experience in a technical/commercial role and/or sales support role is ideal.
- Experience in quality control environment is highly beneficial.
- Experience in typical Malvern Panalytical market sectors would be advantageous.
- Experience and direct knowledge of other Malvern Panalytical Technologies (e.g. XRF, other XRD applications) is preferred, but not a requirement. Training will be provided for other XRD applications, if needed.
- Knowledge and/or experience in competitive or orthogonal analytical techniques such as ellipsometry, profiometry, SIMS, etc. would be beneficial.
- This is a visible position influencing the customers’ perception of our company’s professional image. The ability to deal efficiently, diplomatically, ethically and with consideration of Malvern Panalytical’s customers and your work colleagues, is essential.
- Flexibility to working hours, changing demands and priorities.
When you join?
- Your career will take off with a comprehensive induction programme. We then continue to support and develop our employees by improving their skills, knowledge and performance by in-house, on-the-job training, and external training.
- We value entrepreneurship and commitment by offering real career possibilities.
- You become part of a growing company where you can shape the future of our work processes
YES, I WANT THIS JOB!
Please click APPLY NOW to submit your CV and cover letter.