About this position:
Do you want to be part of a business that genuinely values entrepreneurialism, innovation and individual accountability? We focus on our customers and are proud of the difference our technology makes. We partner with some of the biggest manufacturing companies in the world and our technical innovations are used to enhance well-known brands across multiple industries.
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB:
To directly manage the Malvern Panalytical (MP) Application Specialist team in GERMANY and contribute to the regionally defined MP Applications laboratories (if any), its Inside/Field based Application Specialists and departmental resources, to provide technical support to achieve high levels of customer satisfaction and annual Malvern Panalytical direct and channel partner sales objectives.
To support the internal projects aligned with MP strategic campaigns to ensure our domain knowledge of the scientific staff is utilized to drive our long-term plans.
The role will be a blend of many aspects, however high-level categorization will likely be: Personnel Management (~50%), “Working” Applications Specialist (~20%), and Project Contributor (~30%).
These percentages are merely indicative and should be reviewed, depending on the size of the team, it’s structure and the nature of the projects.
- Line Manager: Global Solution Experience and Applications Director (the desired structure can be altered in line with the local regulations)
- Matrix Manager(s): N/A (the desired structure can be altered in Line with the local regulations)
- Leads and builds a strong and agile Applications expertise organization within the country, whether direct or through channel partners, to contribute to an environment where all Applications members feel a part of a global team supporting from sector and product perspectives
- Collaborate with regional Application Manager peers to establish best practices that extend globally, not just locally, in line with the application team directives and strategy
- Creates/Cascades objectives, manages performance and ensures that the managed Applications staff have the necessary skills to deliver organizational objectives
- Ensures that all Health and Safety rules and initiatives are met in the locally defined Applications facilities and in the field, for the safety of our employees and our customers
- Maintain the COSHH database for all used and stored materials in any regional laboratories, ensure that all staff are fully trained in the relevant assessment procedures
- Ensure that Code of Business Ethics requirements are met, and that all team members are operating within the legal and ethical boundaries of MP/Spectris
- Work with Human Resources to ensure high-quality recruitment, to ensure top-notch application and segment knowledge is present in the correct geography and agrees with the sectors strategy
- Mentor Application Specialists along a defined MP career path strategy to motivate and retain the Applications team in alignment with MP business requirements
- Initiate, support and monetize pre-sales and post-sales activities to capitalize on the expertise provided by the Applications Department
- Continually assess their team’s current skills compared to their team members long-term desired skills. Perform a gap analysis of their team against the strategic plans of the sectors to determine the required application resources or approaches to realize the sector goals
- Collaborate with customer service management regional counterpart(s) to resolve customer applications problems, ensuring that maximum customer satisfaction is realized in both current and new approaches that are implemented, to ensure highest customer satisfaction and retention (within Voice of Business (VOB) constraints)
- Ensures their team contributes to the New Value Innovation (NVI) process for product introduction and/or develops new business proposals, utilizing applications knowledge, to create and grow into new business markets
- Organize and, where appropriate, provide timely technical assistance to Malvern Panalytical customers and prospects globally and associated channel partners. (see “Main purpose of the Job”)
- Organize and, where appropriate, provide Applications support to the sales process for account managers, subsidiaries and channel partners globally aligned with divisional procedures and the agreed requirements of the individual sector/subsidiary managers. (see “Main purpose of the Job”)
- Organize and, where appropriate, provide Applications support to product marketing content or contribute to and collaborate on internal projects (via Expertise Project Requests), to support business development of product or campaigns in line with general business objectives. (see “Main purpose of the Job”)
- To be responsible for and contribute to sample analysis in the form of pre-sales sample analysis or in a demonstration environment from potential customers, subsidiaries and/or channel partners, using the Malvern Panalytical range of instruments and to communicate the findings of such analyses in written report or presentation format . (see “Main purpose of the Job”)
- Balances the workload (i.e. minimizing travel) of their staff to improve their employee satisfaction and retention
- Maintain and work within a defined team budget, while creating new approaches to minimize travel and expenditures
- Develop, implement and maintain any current or future Applications Department protocols (SOPs)
- Manage resource availability to support the customer training and demonstration programs globally.
- Maintain and be fully conversant with the documents (procedures, guides, forms and lists) stored on the Business Management System (BMS) to ensure that MP processes are correctly followed. Provide advice and training related to these documents, and contribute to improving or creating new documents on the BMS
- Ensure that the Applications Laboratories in the region adhere to ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and ISO 45001 standards, and support the Q3HSE to maintain these standards across the Malvern Panalytical sites
- On the value of knowledge assets within the business
- Major impact on customer satisfaction
- Directly upon the motivation of the Applications Specialist team, indirectly on Sales
- On profit and orders
- On quality of service and product quality
- On product development
- On the professional image of the company
To the following stakeholders
- Customers, Sales, Sectors, HR, Q3HSE
- Works independently to achieve agreed objectives.
- Provides monthly report for review.
Customer and supplier communication
Communications daily with their team, colleagues, customers and channel partners at all levels, in writing and orally.
- Sales/Commercial – first line support to the sales process ensuring that we maximize the chances of Malvern Panalytical being selected as the vendor in a competitive situation.
- Global Application Specialists – to work closely and assist the Global Applications staff in allied technology areas to ensure effectiveness of Company sales, customer support and marketing activities.
- R&D – provide input into the range of products and software coming on-stream.
- Frequent communication with regional sales teams and subsidiary specialists, most frequent with direct supervisory supports.
- Provides scientific and procedural support to the Q3HSE
- Organizes jointly with regional service team in resolution of complex technical issues
- Colleagues within the Global Applications Management Team
- Responsible for coordinating and contributing to the creation of test data, new solutions / applications for customers or for markets / segments aligned with MP’s business campaigns/focus
- Responsible for coordinating and contributing to the development and collection of knowledge and the sharing of knowledge with important target groups defined by Marketing and/or Sector’s annual campaign plans
- Initiates Strategic-based projects for the Applications and/or MP functional groups and encourages the team to take initiatives in this
- Provides input to the (product) roadmap in support of Product Management and encourages the team to take the initiative here
ENVIRONMENT AND HOURS:
Based in close proximity to any of the MalvernPanalytical office locations in Germany but could be requested to regularly visit any other regional laboratories. Although off-site working will be required from time to time, being available to readily access the Supply Center laboratories is required due to any H&S issues that could arise.
Hazardous samples can be received so some basic chemical knowledge will be very useful, although full training and safety equipment including laboratory coats and other appropriate protection provided.
May be required to visit customers’ premises which is likely to require overnight stays. Requires up to 20% overnight travel, as necessary. Under these circumstances expenses against the appropriate receipts will be reimbursed in accordance with company policy.
Overtime is unpaid. (in line with local regulations)
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED OF THE JOB HOLDER:
- Degree or equivalent in a physical science. PhD or M.S. equivalent in material characterization or closely related subject.
- Must have at least 3-5 years Managing a team.
Skills & Experience
Ideally, experienced in working in both a research environment and a commercial capacity. Familiarity with product marketing and production processes is strongly preferred. Some knowledge of Malvern Panalytical instrumentation would be advantageous. Experience managing a scientific team preferred.
- Wide knowledge of product applications in research environments. Fully acquainted with material characterisation industry and Malvern Panalytical technology.
- Considerable communication and presentation skills with the ability to interface with and influence the scientific community to the highest levels.
- Excellent logical problem-solving is essential.
- Previous laboratory experience mandatory. Without this previous experience the requirements of this position will be difficult to fulfil.
- Cooperation and Team working
- Expertise and Professionalism
- Problem Solving/Analysis