Algorithm Development Scientist
About this position:
From forensics to nanotechnology, our analytical systems and solutions help the world’s top researchers do ground-breaking work on the small things that make big things possible. We’re after enquiring minds, imaginative thinkers, and proud geeks. Those who are irresistibly drawn to hard problems others can’t crack. Those who are always thinking ‘what if…’. Does this sound like you? Then read on….
Job Title: Algorithm Development Scientist
Location: Malvern, UK
About this position:
Do you want to be part of a business that genuinely values entrepreneurialism, innovation and individual accountability? We focus on our customers and are proud of the difference our technology makes. We partner with some of the biggest manufacturing companies in the world and our technical innovations are used to enhance well-known brands across multiple industries.
In this role you will be joining our team of enthusiastic engineers and scientists to contribute to the evolution of customer solutions and novel instruments through mathematical & optical modelling and algorithm design, with a strong focus on designing to meet customer requirements.
Malvern Panalytical technologies are used by scientists and engineers in a wide range of industries and organizations to solve the challenges associated with maximizing productivity, developing better quality products and getting them to market faster. Our mission is to create superior, customer-focused solutions and services to deliver tangible economic impact through chemical, physical and structural analysis of materials.
Malvern Panalytical has multiple locations all over the world and employs over 2,000 people worldwide. When you join us, you become part of the Malvern Panalytical family, a group of talented women and men who drive innovation, embrace change, and celebrate global community.
What are your challenges?
- To write, amend, and maintain a suite of mathematical models and algorithms for the analysis of laser diffraction data and to participate in the development of new algorithms and mathematical models.
- To provide the mathematical, physics, and systems contributions to the design of optical systems based on the principles of laser light scattering and to provide guidance, support, and resource on the application of Zemax and/or other 3rd party design tools to solve optical design problems.
- To solve product problems as they relate to physics, mathematics and systems engineering issues.
- To closely liaise with both the application development scientists and software sub-teams in order to determine algorithmic requirements.
- To keep abreast of technological developments with a view to their potential application.
- To participate in the development of products as part of multi-disciplinary project teams including Production, Purchasing, Service, Manufacturing Engineering and Operations teams during the integration into manufacture.
- Work within project timescales, providing progress indication and task estimates as necessary.
- Understand and mentor others in good design techniques, experimentation, analysis and domain understanding.
- Ensure development knowledge is documented and disseminated through a variety of media.
What do you need to be successful in this role?
- You are a PhD or equivalent, Physicist, Optical, Mechanical, Chemist, Chemical Engineer, Mathematician or equivalent with workplace experience.
- You are highly numerate with strong data analysis skills. Experience in Matlab/Python is essential.
- A Self-driven professional and team player you are able to adapt and adjust when the need arises with experience of working within a multi-disciplinary team, including Applications development, Software and Hardware.
- You will need excellent analytical and problem-solving skills; you will need to be able to communicate complex ideas effectively to the rest of the team.
- Fluent English, verbally and written
Great to have:
- Experience in laser light scattering hardware and/or algorithms. In particular, knowledge of laser diffraction would be advantageous.
- Mathematical modelling of complex systems using Matlab, or similar tools would be advantageous.
- Optical modelling experience using Zemax or closely related optical design packages would be advantageous.
- Plenty of energy and a passion to come up with innovative solutions to difficult challenges.
- Experience in C++ and C# is advantageous.
What we offer:
- A multi-facetted and independent function in a high-tech environment
- Good primary & secondary benefits
- Open, informal culture
When you join:
- Your career will take off with a comprehensive introduction program. We then continue to support and develop our employees by improving their skills, knowledge and performance by in-house, on-the-job and external training.
- We value entrepreneurship and commitment by offering real career possibilities.
- You become part of a growing company where you can shape the future of our work processes.
Yes, I want this job!